Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Catcher/Faller Conundrum



The situation I am about to describe blew my mind when I thought about it. Have you ever tried to figure out a riddle and got so worked up about it that your mind just loops? When I was coming up with this blog I confused myself, so I hope I can figure out a way to explain this without giving you a concussion.

                There are people out there who are very in touch with their emotions. “Yoo, I think I’m falling for her bro,” or “I caught feelings,” are some common ways of describing how we feel about our new romances. Thinking about this made me realize; fallers and catchers are the same thing. Subsequently, who is supposed to catch you when you fall, when catchers are falling also? I know, I know, deep shit.

                Now the reason I wanted to write about this was to try and answer the question of why we let our feelings spiral out of control like this, especially when we are at our sexual prime (well us men anyway). Is it a lack of companionship? Are we just tired of jumping from person to person? Or has society conditioned us into thinking that it is just what we are supposed to do?

                In one of my earlier blogs, THE HOLLYWOOD EFFECT, I describe why women romanticize almost excessively, but I have been ignorant to males becoming increasingly romantic. Just recently I have been talking to my friends about their romantic lives and it surprised me how many of them have turned a page and have so much more respect for women and can see their girls in the future etc. When I asked them what had changed, I was almost disappointed in their answers. I suspect that they may have been twisting their stories to save face and not sound soft as baby food.

                “I don’t want to just be in my room by myself all the time.” I translated that into, “I enjoy her company and when she is not around I forget what to do with myself.”

                “I’ve been hanging out with the guys’ non-stop for 15+ years.” I translated that into, “The conversations we have are meaningful and I enjoy taking the time to find out who she really is.”

                “I don’t smoke as much weed when I’m with her.” I translated that into, “I enjoy being with her so much that I don’t need drugs to improve the environment.”

                “She’s so hot bro.” I translated that into, “I’m whipped man, but I can’t tell you that because you will make fun of me so I’ll just act like I’m only in it for sex when really I think I’m in love with her soul.”

                I never came up with a conclusive answer as to why there is an increasing percentage of men getting involved in fairytale romance, but I am sure there is an increase. Will I research this? No. However I am always observing and I’m sure I will observe an answer soon enough. Until then, remember life is short, but not so short that you need to end it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment