Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pet Peeve #6 – Seriously/Literally


Females with a below average intellectual ability have a sickening tendency to use these two words incorrectly. My intent is not to be sexist, men do it too but it is extremely rare.

                “Seriouslyyyy!” Ugh, I shudder at the thought of this word being used in place of a sentence. If conversation is so weak that at some point I need to vocalize my observation that it is cold outside, please humor me and say something back with some sort of substance, “I know! Last time it was this cold my pet Wooly Mammoth caught pneumonia!” That would be interesting, something entertaining and memorable to make me realize that my conversation starter was weak. “Seriously!” just won’t cut it.

                Since I chose the enthralling weather example for seriously, I guess I will stick with it for literally. Please never, ever tell me that it’s so cold you’re literally dying – unless you want me to call an ambulance. Do we all know what literally means? Literally means you are speaking in a strict sense, with no exaggeration or inaccuracy. So if you tell me you are literally dying, it means I should do whatever I can to help you. If you literally peed your pants laughing, it means you laughed so hard that you lost control of your bladder and urinated while fully clothed. If something literally tastes like shit, it means you have in fact tasted shit before and whatever you are eating now is comparable to that taste.

“Like, seriouslyyy, it’s like sooo cold out right now, I’m literally like going to pass out. Like seriously.”

                If that is how you talk. Go ahead. Just do me a favor and don’t talk to me. If I hear you say things like this I will literally cringe and tell you to shut the fuck up – in all seriousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment