Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pet Peeve #21 – What?


Nothing grinds my gears more than when I ask someone a question and they say, “What?” and then proceed to answer my question. What sense does that make? Absolutely none.

                I have heard countless excuses for this foul behavior; “I just needed time to think,” “I didn’t hear you then I figured out what you said.” There are no excuses for this. It is inexcusable. You will not be excused. If someone says something and you don’t hear it, “I beg your pardon?” “Excuse me?” “I’m sorry?” “Pardon me?” are some less-neandertholic ways of saying, “WhAt!?” or “HuH?!”

                If for some reason your simple little brain works so slowly that it can’t even recognize speech without a 10 second break, just give yourself a second before you answer instead of saying, “What? Yeah!”

                If you heard what I said, respond with just the answer. If you need a little time to think, make a thinking face so I know what is taking you so long. Not a good actor? Can’t make a thinking face? I might even accept “Ummm…” to buy you some time.

                “What’s your favorite color?”
                “What? Blue”

                I refuse to be a part of conversations like these any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment