Sunday, March 25, 2012

Liar Liar


People lie, and they lie about things that are not even worth lying about. Why? None of us are happy with who we are. We lie to make ourselves seem better, maybe not even for who we are verbally lying to, but for ourselves.

                When we get complimented on a job well done, a simple smile and a “thank you!” should be the standard response. However, it is more common to say, “Oh I just got lucky!” even though you know too well that you put in the work required to do a good job. Why do we downplay our achievements so readily?

              Is it that we want people to believe that we have a Fairy Godmother watching over us and making sure we succeed? Or is it that if we pretend that we don’t try, when we succeed in something it appears to come naturally? Perhaps neither of these is the answer, especially for women. Girls in society today are quick to pull the trigger on the bitch label. If they hear someone talking about a good grade there will be a bit of behind the back cattiness, “Like, oh my God, what a conceited bitch! She thinks she’s like, so much better than us!” Since it is this easy to develop a nasty little label for yourself, it is no wonder that people downplay their accomplishments.

                Since we get so much practice lying about trivial things in our personal lives, it is no wonder that we think we can get away with anything with just a simple fib.

                “Mom, I’m just staying at Billy’s House tonight.” (Getting hammered at a house party)
                “No, you didn’t wake me.” *Croaky voice, wiping sleep out of eye*
                “I have to get up early tomorrow.” (I don’t want you to stay here)
                “I’m single.” (I’m about to cheat)
                “I didn’t have sex with her!” (I had sex with her)
                “I do.” (I got hoes in different area codes)

                As you can see, little lies turn into big lies, but somehow they just get easier and easier to tell. This is a problem that will get much worse before it gets better. We get taught to always be honest, but we grow up watching people lie, learning from them, perfecting the art. Each generation is better at lying. At this rate my grandchildren will be convincing me that they were the first men on the moon.

                Good luck wading through all the bullshit that gets thrown at you on a daily basis. Be honest if you are capable, hopefully we learn better to accept the truth for what it is, rather than put fiction on a pedestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment