Tuesday, July 12, 2016

ad VS. ity

Crack. A bus crashes into my ribcage.
Thud. A sledgehammer runs through my stomach.
Bang. A wrecking ball demolishes my eye socket.
I’ve been in pain before, but not like this. This is superhuman. Extraterrestrial.
I’ve lost fights. This isn’t a fight. This is getting hit by a freight train. Twice.
Is it pride or stupidity? I don’t know, but fuck it, I keep getting up.
Each time I stand is another brilliant mistake.
I can’t even see what’s hitting me anymore. I’m focused on my breath.
In… Out…
Each breath is a punch to the guts,
But the delicious taste of survival
The last ounces of strength I have barely get me off the ground.
As I wobble around wondering where the next hit will come from I smile.
My mouth full of that warm, iron syrup. I can’t help but smile.
I feel the frustration radiating towards me. How is he still standing?
I sense the confusion, the defeat. The next hit never comes.
How did I wind up here? Doesn’t matter.
I’m still standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment