Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pet Peeve #30 – Wobbly Chairs/Tables


What kind of amateur hour carpenter builds tables and chairs these days? There is nothing worse than sitting down for a nice meal and then suddenly finding out that you are not at a regular table, but you are in fact sitting down at an earthquake simulator. If I wanted to get dizzy I wouldn’t sit down, no, I would go to a theme park and ride a roller coaster, run around in circles, or drink 30 beers.

                Remember rulers, levels, and try squares? I took a woodwork class in 10th grade and I could construct a better table and chair than what is currently accepted by the market today. IKEA. Don’t even get me started on IKEA. If you are going to make me put together my own furniture for low, low prices, at least make sure every leg is the same length. My books are for reading, not for leveling out my table so my drink doesn’t slide off it.

                Some of you are going to go ahead and play devil’s advocate here. I won’t allow it. I am completely aware of the legs which have the little cork piece on the bottom in an attempt to fight against the scuffing of tiles. I’ll tell you how good that idea is – about zero good out of ten. When the cork piece inevitably detaches itself from the leg we get a not only a wobbly chair or table, but we get a scuffed up tile. That right there is the definition of an invention gone wrong. The saddest part about it is people still make chairs and tables like this like they are really solving a problem.

                I would rather take up yoga and limber up, move to Japan, and start eating all of my meals on the floor with my legs crossed at mini tables… Those mini tables better not be wobbly though…

No comments:

Post a Comment