Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pet Peeve #10 – Oh and You Play Basketbal!?


My skills at throwing trash are not directly correlated with my skills on a basketball court. Nor are my skills at throwing screwed up napkins into cups. So if I do by chance miss from time to time the, “Oh and you play basketball?” comment would not be missed.

                Comments like these are comparable to telling people how to do their job. Unless you are indeed an expert, keep your mouth shut. And if for some reason you are an expert at throwing trash – I care not for your advice, as I have real goals.

                If you accidentally stutter as we all can at times, it is unlikely that I will say, “Oh and you’re a speech pathologist?” If you ask me if I want anything from the store and I say, “Yes! Baby cheeses!” and you bring back a little baby Jesus, I will not say, “Oh and you work at the drive-thru at McDonalds.” These examples don’t do it for me though. Excuse me while I think of something a little more relevant.

                Something a little more along the lines of the trash-basketball impasse might be if a mechanic was driving on a highway and broke down. He looks under the hood and comes to realize that he cannot do anything about the problem and consequently he calls AAA. His friend riding with him says, “I thought you were a mechanic.” Yes, he is a mechanic. And when he is at work he has tools, spare parts, a pit, and an ENTIRE WORKSHOP. The environment is totally different. Just like when I play basketball, I play on a hardwood court, with a size 7 ball filled with air and I aim it at a hoop 10 feet in the air. I’m not throwing an arbitrary object that can weigh something different every time at a different target every time. So it’s not the same. I would not even call the two alike.

                Stop questioning my athletic ability by judging my trash throwing skills. I do not work for the sanitation department, nor do I intend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment