Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hindsight 20-20



Have you ever looked back on your actions and thought you could have handled a situation a little better than you did? Over the Summer I found myself thinking about my behavior and thinking in retrospect I either shouldn’t have even acted on what I was feeling, or could have acted differently. This was happening way too often and consequently I am now teaching myself to delay gratification and think a little harder and longer before I make decisions.

                Since making a conscious effort to improve my decision making and reduce the chance of future regrets, I have been taking more notice of people embarrassing themselves. Alcohol is not the only reason people act impulsively, I have been witnessing some silly shit in sober situations. How about I share some of this ridiculousness with you?

                I was in the gym working out on a Sunday morning. This is not the time or place to pour your heart out to your best friend about your romantic life. I was lifting on the bench next to them and the kid spotting was talking about how much he loves his girl and that he was thinking of telling her. He then proceeded to tell the guy that the way he felt was “indescribable” and he could see her being his wife. He didn’t even lower his voice while he was saying all of this, there is no way I was the only witness. And hey, good for him, but this is a gym session, not a therapy session.

                Huge, elaborate, bold acts of romance need to start being planned better. If you want to make a scene to get your old girl back, or you want to propose in public; MAKE SURE YOU ARE 100% SURE YOUR GESTURE WILL WORK. It is uncomfortable to watch people getting rejected in public. I don’t like to feel embarrassed for other people.

                Remember that looking back on something, you will always have knowledge that you didn’t have at the time of your actions. To help yourself out, try to get some extra information – or at least make sure that you know you want to do what you are about to do before you act. Everything is so much clearer in hindsight, just keep in mind that there are no rough drafts in real life and actions speak louder than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment